Friday, October 13, 2006

The moment you've all been waiting for... the labor and delivery story!!!


October 8 (Sunday)
11pm- My water breaks... and after 2 trips to L&D with false alarms for water leakage, I finally know that it really did break. It was everywhere. I left a trail from the bedroom to the bathroom and back. DH and I know that if we go to the hospital now, we'll get all pitocin'd up and lose our chance for a natural childbirth... so we go back to bed

October 9 (Monday)
5am- DH and I get up and he decides to call into work, since we will be going to the hospital. He and I leave and meet my MIL there.

7am- Got all checked in (no triage this time, I was sent straight to a LDR room!). I was told to walk, walk, walk, walk, and walk some more... and given until noon to make noticable progress. At this point I am 2-3. It takes them four tries and one blow-out to get my saline lock in (yay, didn't have to have an IV yet).


12pm- And I am at 3-4cm, so the nurse requests that Dr M not start pitocin yet. He agrees but I start and IV of antibiotics. I'm having regular, semi-strong contractions but I'm not in a lot of pain... but the birth ball is wonderful at this point.

3pm- I'm a solid 4cm, not enough progress so I start pitocin. Contractions get stronger and closer together, and (as we've all heard) don't follow the usual pattern... they are just all ON. I'm still smiling between contractions, but can't talk through them anymore. This is when the back labor really kicks in.



6pm- Dr M finally comes in and checks me... I am still at 4cm, which absolutely breaks my heart because I thought the pitocin would work and I would make progress (and considering the pain...). He then finishes breaking my water (why didn't he do this earlier???) and puts an internal monitor in. This is where labor gets horrible. I'm biting on washrags, and I can't get up and move around anymore (I'm all hooked up to stuff now). I'm on my hands and knees on the bed, but still making it through contractions. Of course, they're on top of each other now...

9pm- I finally ask for an epidural... the nurse offers to check me beforehand, but I decline since so far the checks have been worse than the contractions (even the rag-biting ones). SO, I sit up and the anesthesiologist comes in... and I have to go to the bathroom. I mean, I feel like I ate some horrible mexican and I had to blow it out... I tell them this, and they say "It's okay, you can go to the bathroom in a minute" (DH says they were giving each other the "uh-oh" look behind my back, but the anesthesiologist had already started prepping)...

9:30 Epidural in. And I slept through the epidural process, except the four contractions (they had some problems getting it in... I would never have known). I turned on my back, the nurse checked me, and I was complete... the anesthesiologist hadn't even left the room, he was still talking to me about what to expect!


10pm- The nurses had let me "nap" as the epi took effect (the first dose... they never gave anything more than that), and now I start pushing (because I REALLY feel the urge). DH had said he didn't want to see "down there", but when the nurse asked if we were expecting hair, his eyes were all up in there! We could see the head pushing, and it was hairy!

10:20pm- I am told to STOP PUSHING because they CAN'T FIND THE DOCTOR (they literally tell the other OB to stay at the desk in case I pop). They finally find Dr M and we get down to business. Of course, the epi does nothing here... so I am totally PISSED that I even have it.



Kris cutting the cord

10:46pm- POP! Jakob Daniel is born, 8lbs 1oz, 20 3/4". I tear a wee bit and get 2 stitches. This is the point where I'm happy to have the epidural, even though it's mostly worn off... because I CAN feel the stitching and the uterine massage, but I could NOT feel (Thank God) when Dr M "packed" me full of gauze... or when I realized that his whole hand was missing, and there was only one place it could be... after he is done, I fall asleep.





Going home on Wednesday

0 Strange Opinions:

Post a Comment

<< Home